We all love handbags!!! It is almost impossible for any lady to step out without a handbag or a purse. I am sure I would not be exaggerating if I say it is the most have accessories of the female folks. A beautiful handbag/purse compliments your style and has the ability to define your look. It accommodates all the essential lady stuff like cash, phone, makeup and more all through the day. Let me share with you some interesting facts about handbags and its origin.
- The name handbag was first used in the early 1900’s to describe men’s briefcases (I find that very amusing because you can’t address a man’s briefcase as a handbag is this generation)
- The earliest records about the use of handbags that is documented are provided by 14thcentury hieroglyphics. This implies that there is a probability that people have been using handbag but they didn’t just know what it was called.
- In the society of Ancient Egypt, it was totally common and normal for men to carry around purse-like pouches that they could tie around their waists to carry different items in.
- Hermes introduced the first handbag with a zipper in 1923. Before this time the type of bags that were in vogue were drawstring bags and it was a common accessory used to carry coins, and at the same time, wealthy women wore them simply as accessories to events like balls.
- Gucci began using its cane bags handles in the 1940’s, during WWII, because leather was scarce. (Now this piece is a fashion statement).
This next fact got me thinking…. Get ready for it
- The first most expensive handbag in the world was a clutch bag, made of platinum and more than 2000 diamonds. It was created by a Japanese designer in 2008 and it cost well over $2 million. (Convert it to our Nigerian currency using the present exchange rate and let’s see)
- In 2010, Guinness Book of Records awarded Mouawad for creating the most valuable handbag in the world. The Mouawad 1001 Nights Diamond Purse ($3.8M). (Please I want to know how my pieces of this bag have been sold so far?)
- Research shows that men are more likely to choose or buy a handbag based on brands than women. (Do you agree? How many guys have bought you, designers?)
- I read somewhere that an average woman owns up to six handbags in her closet. I think I agree with this because I own more than six.
- According to a survey, I read somewhere, 22% of women said if they were given a chance to spend big on only one item, then it would be a handbag. Only 9% of them wanted to spend on shoes. I am sure I’m part of the 9% that would pick shoes.
- Can you believe that an average woman’s handbag weighs 5.2 pounds? (That’s why guys are always asking what’s in the bag)
Hmm!!! very interesting facts I must say but which of these do you find most interesting? Which of them don’t you agree with? or you have any other facts to add to this?
Feel free to drop your comments. I love you all!!!
**Hugs and Kisses***
All Images from Google